Refrigeration applications in the commercial sector involve a wide range of technologies, from standalone residential type refrigerator, to large central supermarket refrigeration systems. The most common refrigeration applications include the following;
– Grocery store refrigeration systems- Grocery store systems have 2 separate and distinct components including the display cases, and the central refrigeration system which includes the mechanical equipment and control section. Grocery stores account for about one third of refrigeration energy use.
– Beverage merchandisers- beverage merchandisers consume about 5 percent of overall refrigeration energy use.
– Reach-in refrigerators-reach-in refrigerators account for about 12 percent of refrigeration energy use overall.
– Refrigerated vending machines-these machines consume about 13 percent of commercial sector refrigeration energy use.
– Walk-in cooler and freezers- account for about 18 percent of refrigeration energy use.
– Ice machines- ice making accounts for about 10 percent of refrigeration energy use
and there are other applications as well. Commercial refrigeration also includes a wide range of other miscellaneous applications to include water coolers, on- beverage merchandisers, and residential grade refrigerator/ freezer combinations. These miscellaneous applications account for about 8 percent of refrigeration energy use for the average restaurant establishment.
This is a basic breakdown of general energy use in the commercial restaurant sector for refrigeration applications. There are many opportunities that exist for energy efficiency improvements in the commercial refrigeration industry.
One of the considerations for energy cost savings would be to hire a professional such as American Services refrigeration services in Missouri, to evaluate your equipment’s efficiency. The older your equipment is, the less your efficiency ratings are.
Today there is new technology which includes energy efficient reaches in refrigerators utilizing 30 percent less energy than older models. Replacing your old equipment with the new, updated technology will produce instant and significant energy savings.