American Services commercial refrigeration repair service near Maryland Heights knows that many restaurant owners, in order to stay within budget, opt to purchase used restaurant equipment.
Buying a used commercial refrigeration system can really save money, but as a restaurant owner, you want to be cautious to be sure you are getting a unit in good operating condition. If you don’t choose wisely you could spend more money on replacement parts and repairs then a new unit would cost.
Although there are no guarantees when you buy used, here are some tips to help ensure you make the best choice possible;
- Be sure to inspect the unit thoroughly yourself, resist the urge to purchase used equipment online.
- Check inside and out for signs of wear and tear.
- Check the door gasket and evaporator fins to make sure there are no cracks and that the fins are not bent because it will cause decreased performance.
- Check the frame and doors for signs of corrosion which may indicate the unit was poorly maintained.
- Check for signs of mold such as a musty smell-if you detect any mold do not buy the unit because it can adversely affect the smell of the food.
- Be aware that compressors commonly go out in used refrigerators and the cost to replace them is nearly $1,000.
- If you have any questions about the performance of a used unit, you can contact the manufacturer to get more information on what may be wrong and how much it could potentially cost to fix.
Once you have purchased it, performing regular routine maintenance on your used refrigeration system is the best way to ensure that it runs well for years to come. Contact American Services today for a quote on a maintenance program on your commercial restaurant equipment.