Mold is something that grows in areas where there are high moisture concentrations like basements and bathrooms. Once an area has be exposed to a mold infestation, the spores can spread quickly and even attach to other surfaces only to begin growing there as well. The worst part about mold is that it can cause a number of health issues and can be hard to stop. Today, the Fenton area heating and cooling experts at American Services wants to show you how the use of dehumidifiers can help you in your fight against the many issues that are caused by mold.
Dehumidifiers work to lower moisture concentrations in the air. This reduced moisture level deters mold growth since mold likes to live in areas with high moisture levels. Dehumidifiers work to deter mold growth very well when used in high humidity climates, basements, or specific areas where moisture build-up is prominent.
When shopping for a dehumidifier, it’s important to consider where and how the machine will be used. You can purchase units that cover a single room or get one that will work to lower humidity levels throughout your building or home. These units are are often called whole-house units and require installation by an HVAC professional.
Other ways that work at keeping mold at bay include:
- Check for and replace any damages insulation around windows, doors, and water pipes.
- Repair leaky roofs immediately.
- Remove any rotting wood from around your structure.
- Avoid standing water around your space.
- Permanently fix any plumbing problems.
- Run your air conditioner regularly, as it works as a dehumidifier when cooling the air.
- Have your air conditioner maintained properly to avoid water pooling.
Don’t let a mold issue become a major problem around your commercial or rental home space. Contact the American Services team for a free estimate on a dehumidifier unit today!